- 200g buckwheat groats
- 60g whole flaxseed
- 4 Nutri-Brex Original biscuits, crushed
- 20g tapioca flour
- 60ml olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (or 1.5 tsp baking powder and no vinegar)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Flaxseeds, sesame or poppy seeds for topping the bread
We made this with,
- Place the buckwheat and in a bowl, cover with water and leave to soak over night (or for at least 4 hours).
- Soak the flax seeds and crushed Nutri-Brex in 250mls water, and leave to sit for at least 30 minutes prior to making your bread.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C. Oil a 1lb loaf tin (19 x 10 x 5 cm) with olive oil, line the base and sides with baking parchment
- Drain and thoroughly rinse the buckwheat. Place in a food processor with the tapioca flour, soaked flaxseeds, soaked Nutri-Brex, olive oil, salt, bicarb and apple cider vinegar. Blend for 3 minutes. Not all of the grains will break down which will give your bread some texture. The batter will be cake like, rather than a heavy, regular bread dough.
- Pour the batter into the tin, then smooth over with the back of a spoon, sprinkle over the additional seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 1hr15-1hr30, till risen and browned.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 10-15 minutes to cool, remove and cool on a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool fully before slicing. Will keep for up to 5 days in an air-tight container. Freezes well in individual slices.